LC's Steiger and DeWaard Heading to 1A State in 1600
Shoreline - Lynden Christian's Eric Steiger and Brooks DeWaard placed in the top 3 yesterday in the 1A Bi-District 1600 final at King's High School as they will advance to the 1A State Track and Field meet in Cheney, Washington next week.
Steiger won the 1600 in a time of 4:24.51, a 6 second personal best drop from his previous mark. DeWaard placed 3rd running 4:26.29, also a personal best time for him.
The other 2 qualifiers from the race were University Prep's Arie Smidt (2nd), and from Bush, Ethan Widlansky (4th).
Nooksack's Logan Clabaugh ran a 6 second personal best time of 4:31.35 to finish in 5th, but unfortunately miss the qualifying standard by .11 tenths of a second.
Meridian's top performers were Abbas Theophilus (4:34.08) finishing in 7th and Jaskaran Dhatt (4:34.98) finishing in 8th.
In the girl's race, 7 runners advanced to next weeks meet in Cheney as all them met the qualifying standard of 5:17.75. Bear Creek's Olivia Markezich ran 4:59.51 beating her twin sister, Andrea, for the top spot.
The only Whatcom County competitor in this race was Nooksack's Alyce Harlan. She finished in 8th placed running 5:20.07 a for new personal time.
1. Eric Steiger, Lynden Christian - 4:24.51 (q)
2. Arie Smidt, University Prep - 4:25.32 (q)
3. Brooks DeWaard, Lynden Christian - 4:26.29 (q)
4. Ethan Widlansky, Bush - 4:28.06 (q)
5. Logan Clabaugh, Nooksack Valley - 4:31.35
6. Anthony Hart, King's - 4:31.96
7. Abbas Theophilus, Meridian - 4:34.08
8. Jaskaran Dhatt, Nooksack Valley - 4:34.98
1. Olivia Markezich, Bear Creek - 4:59.51 (q)
2. Andrea Markezich, Bear Creek - 5:03.2 (q)
3. Isa Meyers, Northwest - 5:04.13 (q)
4. Naomi Smith, King's - 5:06.06 (q)
5. Macenna Hansen, Northwest - 5:08.72 (q)
6. Ela Nickels, Bush - 5:13.98 (q)
7. Anna Haddad, Annie Wright - 5:15.12 (q)
8. Alyce Harlan, Nooksack Valley - 5:20.07