Updated: May 14
Matthew Watkins had it all when it came to running. He had the P.R.s', he had a great team to run with, and he had one of the best coaches in the entire state.
But he didn't have one thing, and that was an individual state championship.
Going into his senior season at Jackson, Watkins had his eyes set on winning the cross country state title in the fall, and the 1,600 and 3,200 meter titles in the spring.
In the fall, Watkins couldn't get the job done at the 4A state cross country meet placing second to Camas' Yacine Guermali, so he had would to wait for the spring to fulfil his dream.
Watkins' first race of the 4A state track meet was in the 1,600, where he go on to run a new personal best time of 4:11.88.
Once again, he finished in second place.
Self doubt started to kick in for Watkins, but he remembered he still had one more race on Saturday: the 3,200 meter.
Long story short, Watkins won that 3,200 meter final and became a state champion.
Watkins joined Keenan Gray on Zoom Chat for another edition of Interview with The Runner WA. For full interview about Watkins career at Jackson and his recent success at Washington State University, watch the video below:
Matthew Watkins' High School Stats:
- 800: 1:57.6
- 1,600: 4:11.88
- 3,200: 8:48.84
- 5,000 (XC): 15:09.9
Awards and Accolades:
- 2017 4A State 3,200 Champion
- 2nd at 4A State in 1,600 (2017)
- 2nd at 4A State XC Meet (2016)
- 4A District 1 XC Champion (2016)
- 5th at 4A State in 1,600 (2016)
- 3rd at 4A State in 3,200 (2016)
- 2x WESCO 1,600 Champion
- 2x WESCO 3,200 Champion
- 2016 WESCO XC Champion
- 3x First Team All-WESCO XC
- Second Team All-Region XC (2014)
- 2x First Team All-Region XC
- First Team All-State XC (2016)
- All-American Honorable Mention XC (2016)